C U R R I C U L U M VITAE
Since March 2010 Retired Professor
Full Name : Dr. ATİLA ÖZGÜÇ
Date and Place of Birth : March 26, 1943 Istanbul
Nationality : Turkish
1 - 1971 B.S. Istanbul University, Faculty of Science.
2 -1981 Ph. D. Istanbul University, Faculty of Science
3 -1991 Associate Professor, Boğaziçi University (Astrophysics)
4 2007 Professor, Boğaziçi University, Geodesy Department
PhD Thesis Title
The North-South Activity Asymmetry of Sunspot Groups
Kandilli Observatory Publication, 1982
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Edibe Ballı
Scholarship and Grants:
1 - September 1979 Italian Government scholarship, awarded to
research in Rome Observatory, Rome, Italy, for one year.
2 - November 1989 Paris Observatory grant for one month to study
solar diameter with Danjon Astrolabe.
3 - January 1992 Cote dAzur Observatory grant for one month to
study solar diameter with Danjon Astrolabe.
Record of Employment
2009 2010 Assistant Director, Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute
2007 2010 Head of the Geodesy Department
2007 2010 Member of the executive committee, Kandilli Observatory Research Institute, Boğaziçi University
1984 - 1992 Deputy director of Kandilli Observatory Research Center, Boğaziçi University
1984 1992 Member of the executive committee of Kandilli Observatory Research Center, Boğaziçi University
1985 1987 Member of the health and food commission of B.U.
2004 2010 Member of Geodesy Department
1998 2010 Head of the Astronomical Laboratory, Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Boğaziçi University
1992 1998 Physicist, Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, Boğaziçi University
1984 - 1992 Head of the Astronomy Department, Kandilli Observatory Research Center, Boğaziçi University
1971 - 1984 Research assistant in Kandilli Observatory
1984 - 1992 Deputy director, Kandilli Observatory Research Center, Boğaziçi University
1984 1992 Member of the executive committee, Kandilli Observatory Research Center, Boğaziçi University
h-Index = 9
Research Projects :
1 - 1967 Chromospheric Fine Structure supported by Turkish Scientific and
Technical Research Council (TUBITAK) TBAG 5 (Member).
2 - 1986 Solar Radio Telescope Applications supported by Boğaziçi University Research Fund. (Member)
3 - 1988 Narrow-band Na filter for solar observations supported by Boğaziçi
University Research Fund. (Project leader)
4 - 1989 Solar Diameter measurements by using Danjon Astrolabe supported
by Bogaziçi University Research Fund. 89T1015 (Project leader)
5 - 1992 -93 HF Fading Experiment in Turkey NATO/ AGARD project with the
participation of R.A.L. (U.K), M.E.T.U (Turkey), and B.U. (Turkey) (Member)
6 - 1992 -95 Prediction and Retrospective Ionospheric Modeling over Europe
(PRIME) EC project COST 238 and TUBITAK-EEEAG
Boğaziçi University representative.
7 - 1993 Support to PRIME Project I supported by Boğaziçi University
Research Fund Project No. 93T1029. (Project leader)
8 - 1994 Support to PRIME Project II supported by Boğaziçi University
Research Fund Project No. 94T1062. (Project leader)
9 1996 Morphological Investigation of some Solar Events supported by
Boğaziçi University Research Fund Project No. 96T008 (Project leader)
10 - 1996-97 Recording the Solar Observations by CCTV supported by
Boğaziçi University Research Fund Project No. 96T009 (member)
11 1998-99 The last total solar eclipse of the millennium, supported by
Boğaziçi University Research Fund Project No. 98HT101 (Project leader)
12 2000-01 The magneto-optic solar filter applications, supported by
Boğaziçi University Research Fund Project No. 00T101 (Project leader)
13 2004 06 Observations of the solar atmosphere in several wavelengths and during the solar eclipses supported by Boğaziçi University Research Fund Project No. 04S103 (Project leader).
14 2006 Digitizing of the photospheric drawings of Kandilli Observatory supported by Boğaziçi University Research Fund Project No. 06HT301. (Project leader).
1 5 2005 -
07ESF/COST Action 724 (Developing the scientific basis for
monitoring, modeling and predicting Space Weather).
16 2007 - 08 GÜNEŞ YATAY SELOSTASININ MODERNİZASYONU supported by Boğaziçi University Research Fund Project No. 07HT301. (Project leader).
17 2007- 10 Güneş patlama indeksi verilerinin non-lineer modellenmesi ve Boğaziçi
Üniversitesi Kandilli Rasathanesi fotosfer gözlemlerinin sayısallaştırılması.
TÜBİTAK EVRENA PROJESİ 107T878 (Project leader).
Promotion Fund of the Turkish Prime Ministry provided an endowment of 50.000 US$
2 The first total solar eclipse seen from Turkey in 21 century, March 29, 2006.
Promotion Fund of the Turkish Prime Ministry provided an endowment of 80.000 US$
Main fields of research work:
1 Solar-Terrestrial Physics (Near-Earth Space Physics, space weather, ionosphere, Satellite anomalies due to solar activity)
2 Solar Physics, activity periodicities and effects to the Earth
3 Cosmic Rays
Experimental Fıeld Studies:
1 29 March 2006, Total Solar Eclipse, Manavgat, Antalya, Turkey.
2 03 October 2005, Partial Solar Eclipse, Cengelkoy, Istanbul, Turkey.
3 11 August 1999, Total Solar Eclipse, Harput, Elazığ, Turkey.
Mercury and Venus Transits:
1 07 May 2003 Mercury Transit
2 06 November 1993 Mercury Transit
3 13 November 1986 Mercury Transit
4 09 May 1970 Mercury Transit
5 08 June 2004 Venus Transit
· National Astronomy Meeting 1984, Bogaziçi University, Istanbul
Participation in Important Scientific Conferences:
· STEP Symposium/5th COSPAR Colloquium Aug.24-28, 1992 U.S.A
· III. Hvar Astr. Colloquium, Sep. 28-30, 1992, Croatia
· Characteristics of fading of HF signal and noise intensities on three paths between the UK and Turkey, 7th International Ionospheric Effects Symposium, Alexandria, Virginia, USA, May 4-6,1993
· First results from the transportable ionosonde campaign, Workshop on "PRIME Studies With Emphasis On TEC and Topside Modelling", COST 238/PRIME, Graz, , Austria, May 10-14, 1993.
· Characteristics of fading of HF signal and noise intensities on 3 paths between the UK-Kandilli-Göztepe, 1st EURASIAN Symposium Space Science and Technologies, TÜBİTAK, Gebze, October 25-27, 1993.
· IAU Colloquium No.143 June 20-25, 1993 U.S.A.
· Local model of the ionosphere above Istanbul. Workshop on "Numerical Mapping and Modeling and Their Application to PRIME", COST 238/PRIME, Eindhoven, Univ. of Technology, Eindhoven, Netherlands, May 16-18, 1994.
· The ionospheric foF2 data over İstanbul and their response to solar activity for the years 1963-1969 and 1993, 8th International Symposium on Terrestrial Physics (STEP) June 5-10, 1994.
· Ionospheric variability over İstanbul, 8thInternational Symposium on Terrestrial Physics (STEP) June 5-10, 1994.
· First Euroconference for Astronomy, Oct. 12-15, 1995 Prague, Czech R.
· 31st COSPAR Scientific assembly July, 1996 Birmingham, UK
· Solar-Terrestrial events symposium, 18-22 August 1997, Prague, Czech R.
· 32nd COSPAR Scientific Assembly July 1998, Nagoya, Japan
· JENAM98 Solar eclipse workshop Sep.8-12, 1998, Prague, Czech R. Presentation
· 3rd Euroconference on Solar Physics 22-27 Sep, 1998, Potsdam, Germany. Presentation
· Cyclical Evolutions of Solar Magnetic Field, 13-16 December 1999 Madurai, India
· Recent Insights into the Physics Sun and Heliosphere. IAU symposium 203. 7-18 August, 2000, Manchester, England. Presentation
· First SOLPA-Euroconference on The Solar Cycle & Terrestrial Climate, 25-29 September 2000, Tenerife, Spain, Presentation:
· International Solar Cycle Study 2001 Symposium: Solar Variability, Climate and Space Weather, 13-16 June, 2001, Longmont, Colorado, ABD. Presentation
· Solar-Terrestrial Magnetic Activity and Space Environment, 10-12 September 2001, Beijing, China. Presentation:
· 10th European Solar Physics Meeting, Solar Variability: From Core to Outer Frontiers, 9 - 14 September 2002, Prague, Tschek Republic. Presentation
· IAU Symposium 223, Multi-Wavelength Investigations of Solar Activity.14-19 June, 2004, Saint Petersburg, Russia. Presentation
· First International
Symposium on Space Cimate
Direct and Indirect
Observations of Long-Term Solar Activity
20-23 June 2004 (summer solstice) Oulu, Finland
· 35th COSPAR SCIENTIFIC ASSEMBLY, Presentation
18 - 25 July, 2004 Paris, France
· The Dynamic Sun: Challenges for Theory and Observations 11th European Solar Physics Meeting Presentation
· The Second International Symposium on Space Climate: Long-term Change in the Sun, and its effects in the Heliosphere and Planet Earth. Presentation
Sinaia, Romania, 13.-16, September, 2006
· International Symposium on Recent Observations and Simulations of the Sun-Earth System, Varna, Bulgaria, September 17-22, 2006. Presentation
· VIIIth Hvar Astrophysical Colloquium "Dynamical Processes in the Solar Atmosphere", 24 - 29 September 2006 , Hvar, Croatia. Presentation
February 19 - 20, 2007, Viyana, Avusturya
· IUGG XXIV General Assembly, "Earth: our changing planet", July 2 -13, 2007 Perugia, Italy. Presentation
· First Middle East and Africa, Regional IAU meeting, April 5 10, 2008, Cairo, Egypt.Presentation :
· UN/ESA/NASA/JAXA "First Results from the International Heliophysical Year 2007, June 02 06, 2008 Sozopol, Bulgaria. Presentation
· International conference Ulugh Beg and his contribution to the development of the world science, June 9-11, 2009, Samarqand, Uzbekistan. Presentation
· IHY-ISWI Regional Meeting - Heliophysical phenomena and Earth's environment, September 7-13 2009, in Sibenik, Croatia. Presentation
UN / NASA / ESA / JAXA Workshop on Basic Space Science and the International Heliophysical Year 2007, 21-25 September 2009, Daejeon, Korea. Presentation:
· Workshop on IT, Society and Culture in Turkey and Japan, 12-13 March, 2010, Istanbul, Turkey. Presentation
· AOGS 7th Annual Meeting July 5-9, 2010 in Hyderabad, India. Presentation:
· Xth Hvar Astrophysical Colloquium, 6 - 10 September 2010 , Hvar, Croatia. Presentation:
· UN/NASA/JAXA Workshop on the International Space Weather Initiative (ISWI), 06-10 November 2010, Cairo, Egypt.
· Solar influences on the magnetosphere, ionosphere and atmosphere, June 6-10, 2011 Sozopol, Bulgaria. Presentation
· Balkans, Black Sea and Caspian Sea Regional Network on Space Weather Studies, SOLAR AND HELIOSPERIC INFLUENCES ON THE GEOSPACE, 1 5 October 2012, Bucharest, ROMANIA.Presentation:
Graduate Course:GED 593 Selected Topics in Geodesy (Effects of Space Weather on Technology Infrastructure)
MS Thesis supervised: Destruction on Earths magnetic field, Gül Sevin Pekmezci , 2004721175.
PhD Thesis co-supervisor of Ali Kılçık, Akdeniz Univ. Institute of Science
PhD Thesis co-supervisor of Famil Rafiz MUSTAFA , Shamakhy Astrophysical Observatory, Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, Azerbaycan
Publications numbered as RJ-2, RJ-4, and RJ-9 are the outputs of MS theses which were carried out with the young members of the Astronomy Laboratory to prepare their MS theses in the other universities.
Şuriyet Ufuk (579.313), student of the ITU, Faculty of Aeronautics and Astronautics, , Meteorological Engineering has got help to finish her BS thesis.
Elected as an member of the thesis evaluation committee of T.K.Nag from Institute of Radio Physics & Electronics, Calcutta, India.
1986 1992 contributed to Astrophysics Department . of KOERI.
International Heliophysical Year-2007 (IHY-2007) National Coordinator
Cont. Astron. Obs. Skalnate Pleso (Academy of Science of Slovakia)
Solar Physics (Journal of Springer Verlag)
Journal of Geophysical Research (Journal of American Geophysical Union)
Central European Astrophysical Bulletin (University of Zagreb, Croatia)
Last updated at March 1, 2013